Struggling with competition from Amazon and Wal-Mart, retailer Toys "R" Us will close 1,600 stores to try to stay in business. The news follows the bankruptcy filing in September and may be the company's last chance.
In a message to customers posted on the website, Chairman and CEO David Brandon delivers the bad news and demonstrates vulnerability:
In addition to the update, Brandon confirms, in bullets, two issues that may be most relevant to customers now:
- We are open for business and ready to serve you.
- We are honoring customer programs.
- Read the entire message to customers. What are Brandon's objectives, and how well does he meet them?
- How does Brandon demonstrate learning from failure and vulnerability?
- Assess the message organization and writing style. What works well, and what could be improved?