Microsoft hit the news with its appointment of a new CEO. Born in Hyderabad, India, in 1967, Satya Nadella will be the company's third CEO. He worked at Microsoft for 22 years, most recently as the head of the Cloud and Enterprise group.
On a splashy web page, Microsoft announces the news, provides videos and photos fit for a magazine, and includes links to:
- Traditional press release
- Steve Ballmar's email to employees
- An asset pack of material (zipped files)
- Nadella's email to employees
- Webcast for customers and partners
This web page is good example of a new media release.
Nardella looks very cool in this picture-kind-of like the Apple guy.
- In what ways is the web page like and unlike the company's traditional press release?
- After reading the web page announcement, press release and two emails, what message themes emerge? Do you also find inconsistencies or contradictions?
- Watch the webcast. How is the video tailored to the defined audiences: customers and partners? What is done well, and what could be improved?