At a dinner for the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation, both candidates showed their humorous side. In quips about themselves and each other, President Obama and Governor Romney had the crowd going.
Here are a few of the highlights of Romney's ten-minute speech:
- "It's nice to finally relax and wear what Ann and I wear around the house." (Formal attire)
- "I was actually hoping the President would bring Joe Biden along this evening because he'll laugh at anything." (Referencing the VP debate)
- "President Obama and I are each very lucky to have one person who's always in our corner-someone who we can lean on and someone who's a comforting presence without whom we wouldn't be able to go into the day. I have my beautiful wife, Ann; he has Bill Clinton."
Obama had his share of laughs in his nine-minute speech:
- "This is the third time Govenor Romney and I have met recently. As some of you have noticed, I had a lot more energy in our second debate. I felt really well rested after the nice long nap that I had during the first debate."
- (About the first debate) "For example, I learned that there are worse things that can happen to you on your anniversary than forgetting to buy a gift."
- "I went shopping in some stores in Midtown. I understand that Governor Romney went shopping for some stores in Midtown."
- "Mitt is his middle name. I wish I could use my middle name."
- Watch both speeches. Do any of the jokes surprise you?
- In what ways, if any, do the speeches sway your thinking about the candidates?