Allstate is getting out ahead of the chaos: in an email to customers, the company offers suggestions for preparing for Hurricane Irene. The company's website offers additional advice. (Click to enlarge).
State Farm also offers advice for customers on its website. The "Disaster Response" page lists these tag lines:
- State Farm Has Unmatched Disaster Response and Recovery
- Ready to Respond to Hurricane Irene
Discussion and Assignment Ideas:
- Why would the insurance companies communicate before the hurricane? What do they have to gain?
- Compare the two companies' web communications about the hurricane. Explore both sites and identify differences in approaches and assistance offered. Which do you think works best and why?
- In an email to Allstate or State Farm, offer your advice for improving its communication. Use examples from the competitor's website to support your points.