Students can learn about positive messaging from Marriott's announcements about the Starwood acquisition:
- Timing of messages to Starwood associates and the public to illustrate communication planning: PPT slide
- Acquisition announcement press release
- Shareholder update on a new Starwood landing page
- "4 Things to Know" article by Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson
- Email to Starwood associates from Arne Sorenson
- Email to Starwood associates from Starwood CEO Tom Mangas
- Email to Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) members
- Email to Marriott Rewards members
HomeAway Email Introduces New Leader (September 2016)
Vacation rental site HomeAway sent email to users about a new CEO. The current CEO's approach is rather personal and gives us a good example for a positive or neutral message.
Email to LinkedIn Staff about Microsoft (June 2016)
- Nokia and Microsoft CEOs discuss the companies' partnership.
- Andrea Jung, CEO of Avon, accepts an award from the Clinton Global Initiative.
- Ursula Burns, President of Xerox, introduces new color printers.
- Kraft "likes its fans in a fun music video.
- Amusing snow-day message from a school principal.
Examples of a customer's request and responses from five hotel companies.
Yahoo's press release announcing (another) new CEO.
Doctor's handwritten note to a former patient's family. Lovely example of a "goodwill" message.
Satya Nadella's long message to employees as Microsoft's new CEO, 2014.
Fascination with Warren Buffet's annual letter, 2015.
Barnum & Bailey news release announcing that the company will stop using Asian elephants in traveling circus performances, 2015.