Following Stephen Elop's communication to Nokia employees earlier in the week, he and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer announced a strategic alliance between Nokia and Microsoft. Analysts say the deal is bad news for Nokia, which will likely face job losses. Nokia's stock fell 14% following the news.
- In the press conference video, whose presentation style do you prefer: Elop's (Nokia) or Ballmer's (Microsoft)? Why? What principles from Chapter 11 does each speaker use?
- How do both speakers signal new topics? This is particularly challenging without visuals to cue the audience.
- Watch the Q&A video. Write 2-3 additional questions you would like to ask either Elop or Ballmer.
- Create presentation slides or other visuals for one of the speakers. How can you complement their presentations with visuals?
- Analyze Elop and Ballmer's Open Letter. In a memo to your instructor, identify communication strategies used effectively and ineffectively in the letter. What works well, and what could be improved?