To reduce security threats and address concerns about productivity, several German companies are blocking employees' access to social networks.
- If you have worked in an office environment, how active were you on social networks like Facebook? Did this affect your productivity?
- Will this action stop employees from participating in social networks? Why or why not?
- The move addresses concerns about viruses and employees revealing trade secrets online. How will blocking access to social networks address these concerns? How will they fail to address these issues?
- What are the downsides of blocking employees' access? What are the benefits to companies of having employees contribute information about their brand on social networks?
- Employees can speak positively on behalf on their companies, which could promote a brand. Contribute a positive comment about a company or brand on a social network.
- Review a Facebook fan page for your favorite brand or product. Analyze the comments: are most comments positive or negative? What can you conclude about this?
- How does this policy of German companies compare with common policies of U.S. companies? Review a few social media policies of U.S. companies and write a report to summarize your findings.