After the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, British Petroleum tried to repair its reputation, partly with a TV commercial. In this video, you'll see how viewers responded to the message.
Watch the full video at the source: http://mediacurves.com/Politics/BP%20Commercial/.
- What principles of persuasive communication (discussed in Chapter 12 ) does BP use in this message?
- In your opinion, is this an effective message? Why or why not?
- Why do you think the viewers reacted positively overall?
- At what points in the video do you see a significant change in viewer opinion? Why do you think people change their perception at these points?
- Write a memo to BP's VP, Advertising, with your analysis of the commercial, based on persuasive communication principles. What works in the commercial? What doesn't?
- Draft a script for a new commercial. How would you communicate BP's message about the oil spill and their commitment going forward?
- Research other PR missteps by BP during this crisis situation. As a communication consultant, write a memo to Tony Hayward with your advice: following the spill, what could he and the rest of the organization have done differently to maintain the company's reputation?